Lavender Laundry Freshener
Lavender is our May Oil of the Month.
We love it when our clothes smell fresh and clean, but dryer sheets are full of toxic chemicals that are dangerous for our bodies.
Here’s a list of 7 toxic chemicals in dryer sheets:
1. Alpha-Terpineol causes central nervous system disorders. Can also cause loss of muscular coordination, central nervous system depression, and headache.
2. Benzyl Alcohol causes central nervous system disorders, headaches, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, central nervous system depression, and, in severe cases, death.
3. Camphor on the US EPA’s Hazardous Waste list. Central nervous system stimulant, causes dizziness, confusion, nausea, twitching muscles, and convulsions.
4. Chloroform on the EPA’s Hazardous Waste list. Neurotoxic and carcinogenic.
5. Ethyl Acetate on the EPA’s Hazardous Waste list. Narcotic. May cause headaches and narcosis (stupor).
6. Linalool causes central nervous system disorders. Narcotic. In studies of animals, it caused ataxic gait (loss of muscular coordination), reduced spontaneous motor activity, and depression.
7. Pentane causes headaches, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, drowsiness, and loss of consciousness. Repeated inhalation of vapours causes central nervous system depression.
So how can we freshen up our laundry without all the chemicals?
USE ESSENTIAL OILS
Here’s a recipe to freshen up your laundry:
Natural Laundry Freshener
4 drops wild thyme essential oil
4 drops lavender essential oil
Add to laundry machine while the water is filling the drum. Allow drum to fill ½ full before adding clothes
What if I have a front loader? Add the oils in with your detergent.